"Quills and Parchment is only for those who suck the marrow out of life."

Monday, June 18, 2012

Fermin Philip G. Pula BEEN3

(Fermin Philip G. Pula    BEEN3)

This poem is written by Sylvia Plath. It is written by the author to express her feeling of depression and loneliness. Sylvia was known as one of the most talented poets in her time. She was almost as what you call a perfect person. A straight A student who has a very charming personality. But she also was known to be a perfectionist. Even though she is at her status she always felt that everything was not enough and she suffered from depression and loneliness. People thought that she was crazy. And indeed she is. She killed herself with cooking gas at the age of thirty. And this poem (Mirror) was written at the midst of her midlife crisis.


Mirror   (by: Sylvia Plath)

I am silver and exact. I have no preconceptions.
Whatever I see I swallow immediately
Just as it is, unmisted by love or dislike.
I am not cruel, only truthful-
The eye of the little god, four cornered.
Most of the time I meditate on the opposite wall.
It is pink, with speckles. I have looked at it so long
I think it is a part of my heart. But it flickers.
Faces and darkness separate us over and over.
Now I am a lake. A woman bends over me,
Searching my reaches for what she really is.
Then she turns to those liars, the candles or the moon.
I see her back, and reflect it faithfully.
She rewards me with tears and an agitation of hands.
I am important to her. She comes and goes.
Each morning it is her face that replaces the darkness.
In me she has drowned a young girl, and in me an old woman
Rises toward her day after day, like a terrible fish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment