"Quills and Parchment is only for those who suck the marrow out of life."

Sunday, June 17, 2012

I, Too, Sing America

Min Ji Kim
Elaine Tan


Langston Hughes


We chose one of Langston Hughes amazing poem “I, too, Sing America” to give an analysis to his life. During the time when Langston Hughes wrote this poem black people were discriminated. They are not allowed to use the same facilities with the American. Hughes took the initiative to speak his mind thru this poem. The poem describes the pain felt by the Black’s in a world dominated by the Whites. Hughes tries to express the agony with a hope that tomorrow will definitely bring a change and the Americans will treat the Blacks with equal honor. The poet was taking a stand of his right as a Black. On the first line “I am the darker brother” this means that color doesn’t mean anything and everyone is the same. Everyone is a part of one family even if they have different skin tone. By mentioning the line “I’ll be at the table,” the poet hopes for a better future for his race. We read some of the poem’s commentaries it says that Hughes’s poem “I, too, sing America” was right and agreed by many. And now black people are able to be involved in the important things that are happening to the world. Furthermore each and every one of us is created different no one has the right to critic any other person no matter what they are. God made us, criticizing people is criticizing God’s work.


I, Too, Sing AmericaBy: Langston HughesI, too, sing America.I am the darker brother.They send me to eat in the kitchenWhen company comes,But I laugh,And eat well,And grow strong.Tomorrow,I'll be at the tableWhen company comes.Nobody'll dareSay to me,"Eat in the kitchen,"Then.Besides,They'll see how beautiful I amAnd be ashamed--I, too, am America.


No comments:

Post a Comment